Wednesday, July 1, 2015

WWRW: July 1st




Emma by Jane Austen is the fourth of her books I've now read (almost done) and I'm finding it lovely.  I had been avoided the book guessing that I would find her antics and matchmaking annoying but actually I found them very funny as she crashes again and again into the reality almost nothing goes as she plans.  There are not quite the deep mines to explore in characters and language as in other Austen books but all in all a sweet fun summer read that I'm glad a finally decided to read.



The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery: this was a re-read for me but gave me the chance to introduce to mostly Liam (Will try and catch Lisbeth at another time). The short chapters and wonderful illustrations captivated both of us as we followed along with the Little Prince as he told of his planet and the planets he visited on his journey to visit this one.  Would recommend strongly if you haven't already read or it has been awhile especially if there is a special little person in your life who has yet to meet the Little Prince.



Both of these were read in part to complete categories in the Modern Mrs Darcy Reading Challenge bringing my total at the halfway point 5.

Completed categories:
A book I've been meaning to read: Emma
A book published this year: Them by Carey Heywood
A book originally written in a different language: The Little Prince
A book "everyone" has read but you: Dear Mr Knightly by Katherine Reay
A book recommended by someone with great taste: North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Next up is A town like Alice for the 'a book my mom loves' category.  As it happens turns out this is a favorite of Anne's mom too.  The category I'm most looking forward too is 'a book chosen because of its cover'; as I imagine wandering around a bookstore and giving myself permission to just pick-up a book and buy it. The category I'm dreading is 'a book in a genre you don't typically read'; I currently don't have any ideas and am not sure I want to give up precious reading time on a long shot but acknowledge the value of exploring far afield.

Now please head over to Jessica's for more WWRW.

No comments:

Post a Comment