Linking up with Cari of Clan Donaldson for Theme Thursday: Lights
About an hour south of us is an amazing garden and their Christmas tree and light display truly makes them a year round destination. These pictures are from last year but definitely planning a visit soon.
Please head over to Clan Donaldson for more Theme Thursday: Lights
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Linking up with Jessica of Housewifespice for a special Advent/Christmas edition of WWRW.
Here are two of my favorites, sure to get re-read overall the years.
Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher is primarily the story of how 5 people all come to be staying in a house in northern Scotland in the days leading up to Christmas. Having read many of her books, this one is a favorite. The events and misadventures to bring all of the main characters together are interesting and believable but not so predictable that it does not hold your attention. Her description of the landscapes of Scotland and Cornwall are amazing, and add so much to the metaphors about darkness and the return of light.
Star Bright by Fr. Andrew Greeley is a sweet story of a American (Roman) Catholic and a Russian (Orthodox) Catholic falling in love during a fall semester culminating with them celebrating Christmas in Chicago with his family. Greeley does a wonderful job of showing two young people sharing their faith and talking about the different traditions important to them as they fall in love.
Please head over to Housewifespice for more Advent/Christmas WWRW
Monday, December 2, 2013
Joining Michaela of California to Korea (and back again) and sharing what I love about Advent
1. The music
I do start listening to Christmas Carols as soon as Advent begins but I also give lots of playtime to favorites such as Advent Suite and The Final Word by Michael Card and Cherry Tree Carol (trad.) and Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant for example.
2. Season of Expectation:As the external pressures of preparing for Christmas; shopping, cooking, decorating, etc seem more intense each year. I so appreciate the reminder at every Mass and elsewhere that part of preparing for Christmas is making room on our hearts and minds for Christ and his great love and wisdom to come in and make himself at home.
3. Gaudete Sunday:Have already posted about this before but I love how in the midst of the penitent season we lighten the purple with Christmas white and rejoice at the awesome gift given in Bethlehem long ago.
Please head over and read more to love about Advent at Michaela's and
have a Blessed Advent!
Thursday, November 28, 2013
Linking up with Cari of Clan Donaldson for Theme Thursday
Giving thanks this day for:
Giving thanks this day for:
|this sweet thing|
And occasionally this view as we travel life's journey together.
Please head over to Clan Donaldson for more Theme Thursday: Thankful
Friday, November 22, 2013
Tough week on several fronts but here are 7 things that made me smile recently
- Looking up from locking up the house and helping Lisbeth put her helmet on to find Liam pedaling his tricycle down the block ALL BY HIMSELF!
- Christmas cards are ordered!!
- Lisbeth swallowed the most recent 'loose tooth', the Tooth Fairy came anyway. I have been asked to not pack granola bars in her lunch when she has a very loose tooth.
- Can't imagine what he will be eating as a teenager as Liam is already eating leftover pizza COLD.
- Liam's new favorite show is Transformer Rescue Bots, and his favorite character is of course Heat Wave the fire truck. And I am now supposed to, when prompted, give the action call. So washing the dishes, or feeding Caitlin I may be called upon to call "Rescue Bots Roll to the Rescue!"
- So I was raking leaves and Liam was jumping in leaves and then Lisbeth came out and requested that I make a pile at the bottom of their slide: Genuis!! And much fun was had by all.
- Picture for the week:
Please head to Conversion Diary for more of this week's Quick Takes
Thursday, November 21, 2013
Joy awoke this morning ready to dust off the old blog and give thanks for some of the good amidst the craziness. Giving thanks:
- for the full moon she spied this morning post school drop-off
- for the Dunkin Chai she treated herself to
- the game of I Spy she played with Liam in the car
- the sweet encouraging text her husband sent
- And his offer to bring home dinner tonight for them
- watching her daughter be deep in conversation with classmates as soon as the goodbyes are said
- Caitlin's smiles as she is woken and carried out into the cold to take Lisbeth to school
- The new day off to a decent start despite the very early start
Also linking up with Kelly of This Ain't the Lyceum for Third Person Thursday
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Linking up again for Theme Thursday inspired by Cari of Clan Donaldson
hosted by Mary Grace of Why, Yes, I am Crazy
It has started to get very cold in the evening so 'Yay' for footie pj's and sleep sacks!
Please head over Mary Kate's for more Theme Thursday